Cardboard Box Derby and Dummy Race
March 9, 2013
Dummy Race starts at 3pm, followed by the Cardboard Box Derby
Come join us for the 4th Annual Winter Carnival Cardboard Box Derby. Watch as cardboard artists and mechanics turn little more than cardboard, paper, tape, glue, and string into the most creative sculptures that you can think of like dragons, race cars, UFO's, and other themes. Promote your business with a one of a kind creation!
Test your creativity by constructing a cardboard craft able to swoosh down the ski hill carrying you and your team members. The rules to building your craft are simple: constructed solely of cardboard, sonotube, paper, glue, tape, and string. Sponsors names must be printed somewhere on the craft.
This is not a race! There are no points for speed. A panel of judges will rate each craft for originality, costumes, and construction. Of course you also need to finish with all your team members on board.
Your cardboard vehicle may be simple or complex with up to 4 adult (or 6 under 18 yrs of age) pilots to maneuver down the ski hill. Remember the more creative your craft the better your chances for winning. Group entries are encouraged: local businesses, bars, restaurants, motels, ski shops, coworkers, etc.
Prizes will go to the top team in each category.
1. Best Overall design
2. Best Spirit and Attitude
3. Best Construction/Engineering.
Awards to follow on the front deck or at the Stage in the Main Bar.
1. All cardboard crafts must be built solely of cardboard, tape, string, glue and paper. Tyvek paper or any other type of material will not be allowed and will be disqualified. No exceptions! All sponsors must be printed somewhere on the craft.
2. Teams may consist of 4 adults (or 6 kids under 18 years old) crew members.
3. Crew members must wear non-hazardous clothing
4. You must be 18 years old, or in the kid’s class, you will need parental consent and release form signed.
5. The decision of the events committee concerning awards or disqualification is final.
6. Un-sportsmanlike conduct is grounds for disqualification.
7. Every participant must sign a liability waiver before competing.
8. No strapping into the crafts.
9. Teams must be able to stop their craft.
10. All participants must wear a manufacturer made helmet, No exceptions!
2nd Annual Dummy Race
Heineken Winter Carnival Ski Dummy Race in conjunction with the Paper Box Derby March 9th 2013
Here is how it works. You make a Dummy on skis (or a snowboard) and bring it to Hunter Mountain. We take the Dummy up the slope for you. When it’s your Dummy’s turn, we let it go and see how straight, how far, and how fast it makes it to the finish line!
A $50 Hunter Mountain gift card will be awarded to the first place Dummy in three categories: Most Creative, Best Time or Longest Run, and Best Crash.
Now that we’ve peaked your interest, do you think you have what it takes? Just follow the rules listed below and give it your best shot!
- Dummies must be at least four feet tall, and have four or more limbs.
- Dummies cannot weigh more than 100 lbs.
- Be creative, but Dummies must be morally, socially and politically correct
- Dummies must be at the finish line of the derby track, fully constructed, by 9:15 a.m. for judging.
Dummies must be pre-registered by Wednesday, March 6th at 5 p.m. To register a Dummy, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, phone number, and group name, if applicable, or call 518-263-4223 Ext. 2322 There will be no registration the day of the event.
Get your creative mojo working and see if you can win!
** If you are racing a dummy and are not on skis, a lift ticket is not required. If you are on skis or a snowboard, you must have a lift ticket.