Cardboard Box Derby and Dummy Race
March 15, 2014
Come join us for the 5th Annual Winter Carnival Cardboard Box Derby. Watch as cardboard artists and mechanics turn little more than cardboard, paper, tape, glue, and string into the most creative sculptures that you can think of like dragons, race cars, UFO's, buses, airplanes and other themes. Promote your business with a one-of-a-kind creation!
Test your creativity by constructing a cardboard craft able to swoosh down the ski hill carrying you and your team members. The rules to building your craft are simple: constructed solely of cardboard, sonotube, paper, glue, tape, and string. Sponsors names must be printed somewhere on the craft.
This is not a race! There are no points for speed. A panel of judges will rate each craft for originality, costumes, and construction. Of course you also need to finish with all your team members on board.
Your cardboard vehicle may be simple or complex with up to 4 adult (or 6 under 18 yrs of age) pilots to maneuver down the ski hill. Remember the more creative your craft the better your chances for winning. Group entries are encouraged: local businesses, bars, restaurants, motels, ski shops, coworkers, etc.
Prizes will go to the top team in each category.
1. Best Overall design
2. Best Spirit and Attitude
3. Best Construction/Engineering.
Awards to follow on the front deck or at the Stage in the Main Bar.
1. All participants must have a valid lift ticket or season pass to participate.
2. All participants must wear a manufacturer made helmet, no exceptions!
3. You may participate individually or in teams. Teams can be up to six people per vehicle.
4. Teams must register between 9:00am and 12:00pm inside Colonels Hall.
5. Every participant is required to have signed a release of liability (back of this form).
6. Any minor under the age of 18 must have a parent signature.
7. All cardboard vehicles must be built solely of cardboard, tape, glue, paint, string/twine and paper. Sonotubes or similar concrete forming tubes may be used in building the vehicle frame. No flat industrial pressed cardboard, plastic, metal, wood, or staples will be permitted; your vehicle will be disqualified.
8. Cardboard vehicles must have a front, rear, bottom and two sides.
9. Absolutely no pyrotechnic effects of any kind are permitted.
10. No waxing the bottom of your cardboard vehicle or completely covering it in duct tape. At least 80% of the sliding surface must be uncoated cardboard.
11. Any Hunter Mountain representative at the event who deems a vehicle to be unsafe has the authority to disqualify the team.
12. All vehicles must cross the finish line to qualify for prizes… not necessarily intact, but all participants and most of the vehicle must cross the finish line.
13. Un-sportsmanlike conduct is grounds for disqualification.
14. No strapping into the crafts.
15. Teams must be able to stop their craft.
16Cardboard Box vehicles can be left at Hunter Mountain and we will recycle them. Please put your derby box or remnants of the box in the bin we will have assembled at the finish of the slope.
3rd Annual Dummy Race
Winter Carnival Ski Dummy Race in conjunction with the Paper Box Derby March 15 2014
Here is how it works. You make a Dummy on skis (or a snowboard) and bring it to Hunter Mountain. We take the Dummy up the slope for you. When it’s your Dummy’s turn, we let it go and see how straight, how far, and how fast it makes it to the finish line!
Prizes will be awarded to the first place Dummy in three categories: Most Creative, Best Time (or Longest Run), and Best Crash.
Now that we’ve peaked your interest, do you think you have what it takes? Just follow the rules listed below and give it your best shot!
- Dummies must be at least four feet tall, and have four or more limbs.
- Dummies cannot weigh more than 50 lbs.
- Be creative, but Dummies must be morally, socially and politically correct.
- Dummies must be at the finish line of the derby track, fully constructed, by no later than 2pm for judging (3pm start).
Dummies must be pre-registered by Friday, March 14th at 5 p.m. To register a Dummy, email email@example.com with your name, phone number, and group name, if applicable, or call 518-263-4223 Ext. 2322 Any registrations on the day of the event will be appproved at the discretion of the race committee.
Get your creative mojo working and see if you can win!
** If you are racing a dummy and are not on skis, a lift ticket is not required. If you are on skis or a snowboard, you must have a lift ticket.